Ca n’Oliver Iberian settlement

Ca n’Oliver Iberian settlement

Town: Cerdanyola del Vallès
Date: 550 bC
Period: Iberian
Web: http://museucanoliver.cat/

Location on map

Extensive archaeological site in the Montflorit neighbourhood of Cerdanyola del Vallès. The settlement’s timeline extends from its origins in 550 BC to its final abandonment around 300 BC. This was a strongly fortified place. Surviving remains include structures and defensive walls. Notable finds here include remains of zoomorphic sculptures and imported and local pottery in a wide range of forms.

Iberian kiln

Iberian kiln

Town: Sant Cugat del Vallès
Date: I or II bC
Period: Iberian

Location on map

Kiln situated next to the Shrine of Sant Adjutori in the municipality of Sant Cugat del Vallès. It is well preserved and an example of the type of edifice for making items of pottery such as tiles and tableware in ancient times. The surviving remains consist of an almost square fire chamber and an approximately round pillar in the centre that supports a four-sided grid. It is also possible to see the firing chamber with lines of rectangular holes. Its origins date back to between the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. It was discovered in 1962 and completely refurbished in 2003.

Penya del Moro Iberian settlement

Penya del Moro Iberian settlement

Town: Sant Feliu del Llobregat
Date: 550 and 500 bC
Period: Iberian
Web: http://www.santjust.cat/arxiu/penya_moro.htm

Location on map

Remains of the occupation of the hill by the Laietani and the ruins of a medieval fort. This settlement, of average size, is one of a network of settlements situated in various places in the Collserola mountains, among them this one and Puig Madrona and Turó de Ca n’Oliver. The rock was dug out so that the houses, which are rectangular in floor plan, could be built on the hill. The settlement was occupied during two separate periods, with a spell in between in which it was uninhabited. The first period of occupation was between 550 and 500 BC and the second from 425 to 300 BC.

Torre Negra Neolithic cave

Torre Negra Neolithic cave

Town: Sant Cugat del Vallès
Date: 3500 bC
Period: Prehistoric
Web: http://espeleobloc.blogspot.com.es/2013/07/les-coves-de-la-torre-negra.html

Location on map

Archaeological funerary site situated on the summit of Turó d’en Ricart or Torre Negra, near Rambla de Can Bell. The remains of individual burials, together with their corresponding grave goods, and collective ossuaries have been found here, as have bell-shaped vessels.

Santa María de Valldonzella

Santa María de Valldonzella

Town: Barcelona
Date: 13th Century
Period: Medieval

Location on map

Former Cistercian monastery for women (named a monastery because it is outside the city walls). All that remains is the Romanesque church (which appears in documents from 1175), the square-shaped apse and ceiling, part of which has beams while the rest has vaults.

Foto: Pere Fàbregas
Fortí Castle

Fortí Castle

Town: Barcelona
Date: 19th Century
Period: Modern

Location on map

Military construction of uncertain origin (probably built during one of the Carlist wars), used as a gunpowder arsenal. Very little of the castle has survived.

Casino de la Rabassada

Casino de la Rabassada

Town: Sant Cugat del Vallès
Date: 19th Century
Period: Modern
Web: http://lameva.barcelona.cat/barcelonablog/es/insolito/el-gran-casino-de-la-arrabassada

Location on map

This casino was built by the architect Andreu Audet Puig in 1910 and opened in July 1911. It was constructed next to the Hotel de la Rabassada, which opened in 1899. The gambling room was closed on government orders in 1912 but the remaining rooms, the hotel, restaurant and attractions continued to operate until the end of the 1920s.

Foto: Pere Fàbregas
Sant Vicenç del Bosc

Sant Vicenç del Bosc

Town: Sant Cugat del Vallès
Date: 10th Century
Period: Medieval

Location on map

This shrine was the centre of the old village of Cercèdol in the Vall de Can Gordi (Can Guàrdia de la Muntanya) and is mentioned in documents dating from 986. With the seizure of Church property in 1835, the images venerated at the shrine went to Can Bell, a farm near the village, and disappeared from there.

Llano de les Brujas

Llano de les Brujas

Town: Molins de Rei
Date: 150-100 bC
Period: Iberian

Location on map

Foto: Alfons Raspall

Map