Penya del Moro medieval fortification

Penya del Moro medieval fortification

Town: Sant Just Desvern
Date: 11th Century
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

Within the boundaries of Sant Just Desvern, at the border with Sant Feliu de Llobregat and alongside the Iberian settlement, stands a medieval fortification on Penya del Moro hill, formerly known as Puig Castellar. According to Pagès (1992) the remains of the circular base correspond to the castrum mentioned in a document in 1050, like the one that perched above the town and parish of Sant Just Desvern. The tower of the fortification was built on top of the ruins of an Iberian tower. Even though it was initially believed that there was only a tower here, excavations revealed a larger structure with three additional spaces surrounded by defensive walls, as a result of which the site was reclassified as a castle.

Castellciuró

Castellciuró

Town: Molins de Rei
Date: 14th Century
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

On a small hill above the town of Molins de Rei stand the ruins of the castle built in the 14th century on the ruins of an ancient round defensive tower known as Guadall or Guadallo. This round tower was of Visigothic origin (8th century) and hence was pre-Romanesque. This is confirmed by the remains of a stretch of wall that reuses a section of opus spicatum that was typical of that period. A tower with three storeys is situated on the east façade. This tower still has its door and two openings, one now reconstructed. It is also possible to see traces of the trapezoid floorplan, a small tower built adjacent to the rock, the walls of Guadall Tower and the remains of a large cistern, partly excavated out of the rock and protected by barrel vaulting (10th and 12th centuries).

Foto: Pere Fàbregas
El Papiol Castle

El Papiol Castle

Town: El Papiol
Date: 12th Century
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This castle stands on the highest point in the municipality, perched on a rock with a commanding view of the valley. Remains dating from the 11th and 12th centuries have survived, while the square tower dates from the 13th century. It was rebuilt after the earthquake that affected much of Catalonia in 1448. The interior has been largely refurbished. It houses furnishings, weapons and garments from the past and an interesting picture gallery. The family that owned it lived in it until very recently.

Foto: Robert Peña
Fortí Castle

Fortí Castle

Town: Barcelona
Date: 19th Century
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

A military construction of unknown origin. It was used as a gunpowder arsenal. Only a few remains of the outer walls remain.

Torre Baró Castle

Torre Baró Castle

Town: Barcelona
Date: 20th Century
Conservation state: Good condition
Visita guiada:
Monday to Friday from 10am until 1pm. Saturday from 10am until 7pm. Sunday from 10am until 2pm.

Location on map

Built before 1930, the year when the building appears on the standard of the patron saint of the neighbourhood of Santa Engràcia. The first reference to Torre Baró dates from 1339, when it was owned by Guillern of Argentona In 1714, the Bourbon troops demolished the tower, then owned by Baron Bernat de Planós. A second tower was erected in 1797 which, despite being listed in the city council’s inventory of historical buildings, was demolished in 1968 to allow Avinguda Meridiana to be extended. In the late 19th century, the Sivatte family purchased the Torre Baró lands, including the mountains of Les Roquetes. Some believe that Manuel Sivatte i Llopart constructed the building as a place where his sick daughter could rest and enjoy the beneficial climate here. She died before the works were completed and so the building was left unfinished. According to others, however, the project was set in motion by the Compañia Urbanizadora de las alturas del noroeste de Horta, a development company of which Manuel Sivatte was a member of the board of directors. The aim of the project was to develop the area of Les Roquetes or the Sierra de los Pinares and to build a hotel at the centre of the future development. This hotel was known as Torre Baró or Torre d’en Sivatte.

Foto: Alfons Raspall
Penya del Moro medieval fortification

Penya del Moro medieval fortification

Town: Sant Just Desvern
Date: 11th Century
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

Within the boundaries of Sant Just Desvern, at the border with Sant Feliu de Llobregat and alongside the Iberian settlement, stands a medieval fortification on Penya del Moro hill, formerly known as Puig Castellar. According to Pagès (1992) the remains of the circular base correspond to the castrum mentioned in a document in 1050, like the one that perched above the town and parish of Sant Just Desvern. The tower of the fortification was built on top of the ruins of an Iberian tower. Even though it was initially believed that there was only a tower here, excavations revealed a larger structure with three additional spaces surrounded by defensive walls, as a result of which the site was reclassified as a castle.

Castellciuró

Castellciuró

Town: Molins de Rei
Date: 14th Century
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

On a small hill above the town of Molins de Rei stand the ruins of the castle built in the 14th century on the ruins of an ancient round defensive tower known as Guadall or Guadallo. This round tower was of Visigothic origin (8th century) and hence was pre-Romanesque. This is confirmed by the remains of a stretch of wall that reuses a section of opus spicatum that was typical of that period. A tower with three storeys is situated on the east façade. This tower still has its door and two openings, one now reconstructed. It is also possible to see traces of the trapezoid floorplan, a small tower built adjacent to the rock, the walls of Guadall Tower and the remains of a large cistern, partly excavated out of the rock and protected by barrel vaulting (10th and 12th centuries).

Foto: Pere Fàbregas
El Papiol Castle

El Papiol Castle

Town: El Papiol
Date: 12th Century
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This castle stands on the highest point in the municipality, perched on a rock with a commanding view of the valley. Remains dating from the 11th and 12th centuries have survived, while the square tower dates from the 13th century. It was rebuilt after the earthquake that affected much of Catalonia in 1448. The interior has been largely refurbished. It houses furnishings, weapons and garments from the past and an interesting picture gallery. The family that owned it lived in it until very recently.

Foto: Robert Peña
Fortí Castle

Fortí Castle

Town: Barcelona
Date: 19th Century
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

A military construction of unknown origin. It was used as a gunpowder arsenal. Only a few remains of the outer walls remain.

Torre Baró Castle

Torre Baró Castle

Town: Barcelona
Date: 20th Century
Conservation state: Good condition
Visita guiada:
Monday to Friday from 10am until 1pm. Saturday from 10am until 7pm. Sunday from 10am until 2pm.

Location on map

Built before 1930, the year when the building appears on the standard of the patron saint of the neighbourhood of Santa Engràcia. The first reference to Torre Baró dates from 1339, when it was owned by Guillern of Argentona In 1714, the Bourbon troops demolished the tower, then owned by Baron Bernat de Planós. A second tower was erected in 1797 which, despite being listed in the city council’s inventory of historical buildings, was demolished in 1968 to allow Avinguda Meridiana to be extended. In the late 19th century, the Sivatte family purchased the Torre Baró lands, including the mountains of Les Roquetes. Some believe that Manuel Sivatte i Llopart constructed the building as a place where his sick daughter could rest and enjoy the beneficial climate here. She died before the works were completed and so the building was left unfinished. According to others, however, the project was set in motion by the Compañia Urbanizadora de las alturas del noroeste de Horta, a development company of which Manuel Sivatte was a member of the board of directors. The aim of the project was to develop the area of Les Roquetes or the Sierra de los Pinares and to build a hotel at the centre of the future development. This hotel was known as Torre Baró or Torre d’en Sivatte.

Foto: Alfons Raspall

Map