Santa Maria de Valldonzella

Santa Maria de Valldonzella

Town: Barcelona
Date: 13th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

A group of buildings consisting of the church, the tower and the farmhouse, constructed in different periods and now abandoned. Adjoining the farmhouse is what was once the chapel of an important monastery of devout women who had given themselves to God, called deodades in Catalan. (In Catalan, the term ‘monastery’ is used for religious communities outside city walls, and ‘convent’ for those inside city walls, regardless of whether the community consisted of monks or nuns.) Dating from 1175, this chapel passed in 1226 into the hands of the Benedictine nuns in the Cistercian Order. This was the origin of the Valldonzella monastery for women. The surviving parts of the chapel consist of the rectangular apse with a splayed double window, followed by a nave with neatly dressed blocks of stone, pointing to a construction date of the 12th century, and a roof with flat ceiling and beams, supported by round arches, apart from the oratory, which has vaults. How to get there: From Vallvidrera or from Santa Creu d’Olorda. However, the simplest route leaves Sant Feliu de Llobregat, passes by the Shrine of La Salut and follows the Riera de Santa Creu gully. A hundred metres from the Bishop’s Tower or the Lower Tower, we find the Upper Tower or Tower of Santa Margarida at the foot of the Can Parellada gully.

Sant Cebrià and Santa Justina

Sant Cebrià and Santa Justina

Town: Barcelona
Date: 13th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

A shrine of Romanesque origin (12th century) that has been altered on numerous occasions over the centuries. It was in ruins in 1786 and was rebuilt in the 19th century. The building consists of a single nave with a gable roof and Spanish tiles, as well as a bell gable. It was constructed using the slate found on the site where it stands. Inside, there is a small altar in the Plateresque style Consecrated to St. Cyprian and St. Justina, it is a traditional place of pilgrimage and a popular gathering is held here on 26 September. According to the inscriptions in Latin and Catalan on the altar, Francis of Assisi and Ignatius of Loyola visited here. In 1493, a community of Minims, an order of friars set up by St. Francis of Paola, established itself here under the protection of Ferdinand II. Eventually, it became the property of the marquises of Alfarràs but to this day it retains its character as a shrine.

Santa Creu d'Olorda

Santa Creu d'Olorda

Town: Barcelona
Date: 11th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

A group of buildings consisting of the church, the cemetery and the rectory, situated on the main road from Molins de Rei to Vallvidrera. The church is documented in 1032, but the first news of this site appears in a document dating from the late 10th century. The pre-Romanesque remains here demonstrate its antiquity. During the Romanesque period, side chapels were added inside and the nave, roofed with barrel vaulting, was extended. Various reforms to the building were subsequently carried out. Lastly, in 1632, the current bell tower and main portal were built. The place name Olorda is a pre-Roman word and possibly of Basque origin. It means ‘path of the calves’.

Santa Maria de Vallvidrera

Santa Maria de Vallvidrera

Town: Barcelona
Date: 10th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

The first recorded news appears in a document from 987, which makes reference to the parish church of Valldoreix. This was the original nucleus of Vallvidrera. In the 13th century, an independent parish was constituted and, in the 16th century, the current building was constructed in the late Gothic style. It has a single nave, a polygonal apse and a bell tower built on a square floorplan.

Santa Maria de les Feixes

Santa Maria de les Feixes

Town: Cerdanyola del Vallès
Date: 18th Century
Period: Modern
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This chapel was built on the site of a medieval shrine and was blessed in 1749. It is built adjoining a farmhouse, the Casa Gran de la Gleva. In 1859, a new chapel with a new retable was built. When the Spanish Civil War broke out, the shrine was set ablaze and the images were destroyed, including that of Our Lady. When the war was over, it was rebuilt and a new image commissioned. In the 1980s, the entire estate passed into the hands of Collserola Park and extensive remodelling was done in the environs of the farmhouse.

La Salut de Sant Feliu de Llobregat

La Salut de Sant Feliu de Llobregat

Town: Sant Feliu de Llobregat
Date: 18th Century
Period: Modern
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This chapel was built on the site of a medieval shrine and was blessed in 1749. It is built adjoining a farmhouse, the Casa Gran de la Gleva. In 1859, a new chapel with a new retable was built. When the Spanish Civil War broke out, the shrine was set ablaze and the images were destroyed, including that of Our Lady. When the war was over, it was rebuilt and a new image commissioned. In the 1980s, the entire estate passed into the hands of Collserola Park and extensive remodelling was done in the environs of the farmhouse.

Temple of Tibidabo

Temple of Tibidabo

Town: Barcelona
Date: 19th Century
Period: Modern
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This large Gothic Revival church was built between 1902 and 1961 according to a design by Enric Sagnier. It was originally crowned by a bronze statue of the Sacred Heart by Frederic Marés, which was destroyed during the Civil War. The current statue is by Josep Miret and dates from 1950. A lift takes visitors up to the foot of the image, 575 metres above sea level. From this altitude, there is a magnificent panoramic view. The church is open to both worshippers and visitors.

La Salut o Santa Eulàlia de Madrona

La Salut o Santa Eulàlia de Madrona

Town: El Papiol
Date: 10th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition
Web: salut

Location on map

Situated on the south side of Puig Madrona in the municipality of El Papiol, this shrine has a single nave. Part of it dates from the 9th and 10th centuries, making it pre-Romanesque. The capital of the geminate window dates from the late 10th century. The apse and apsidioles are semi-circular and have Lombard decoration, done in the 11th century, which is when the nave was extended and given barrel vaulting.

Sant Adjutori

Sant Adjutori

Town: Sant Cugat del Vallès
Date: 10th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This curious shrine with a circular floorplan stands on the path from Sant Cugat to Sant Medir. Its construction dates back to the 10th century, though it was refurbished and extended in later centuries. In 2003, a project was carried out to restore the shrine and improve its immediate surroundings.

Sant Medir

Sant Medir

Town: Sant Cugat del Vallès
Date: 11th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

The first information concerning this shrine appears in a document from the year 1047 in which Guitart, the abbot of the Monastery of Sant Cugat del Vallès, settled one Riculf on land adjacent to “Domum S. Emeterii”. In 1145, the abbot of Sant Cugat decided to settle ten men on wasteland that was among the monastery’s properties. The abbot also stipulated that their place of worship was to be the Chapel of Sant Medir, situated in a place that was very solitary and so it had a very small congregation. The inscription “Anno Domine, 1447” and the relief of the Holy Trinity above the portal signifies a construction date or some other historical event associated with the shrine. The following century, it became famous as a place of pilgrimage, a fame it retains to this day. The high retable that was sadly destroyed in a fire in 1922 can be dated from the year 1603. The carpentry was by Joan Stella, from Barcelona; the images were by Pau Fornés, also from Barcelona; and the painting by Bernat Vidal, from the parish of Sant Medir. In 1804, the Brotherhood of Sant Medir was founded, and in 1830, the tradition of the popular gathering extended to the town of Gràcia thanks to a promise made by one Pere Vidal, the baker of this municipality and originally from Sant Cugat.

Sant Pere de Romaní

Sant Pere de Romaní

Town: Molins de Rei
Date: 11th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Ruins

Location on map

The first documentary reference to this shrine dates from 1001. Later, in 1032, the shrine was mentioned in a will, which recorded that it was dedicated to St. Peter. This means that the shrine must have been consecrated between these two dates. In 1248, it belonged to a lord of the land and between the 12th and the 17th centuries it passed into various private hands. In the 17th century, a tower with a square floorplan was built adjoining it, with the intention that it should serve as a watchtower and for sending signals. The shrine was abandoned as a result of the War of the Spanish Succession but in 1838 it was granted a licence for mass to be said there. It was badly damaged during the Spanish Civil War and, after various attempts to restore it, it is once again in a state of neglect.

Sant Bartomeu de la Quadra

Sant Bartomeu de la Quadra

Town: Molins de Rei
Date: 20th Century
Period: Modern
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

Sant Bartomeu de la Quadra is mentioned for the first time in a document from 1143, which states that it was attached to Santa Creu d’Olorda. By the late 13th century, Sant Bartomeu had acquired a certain importance, as the priest of Sant Miquel in Molins de Rei was obliged to say mass there three days a week. As the years passed, various farmhouses were built in the surrounding area and, beginning in the 18th century, second homes were built there. In 1868, Sant Bartomeu was granted the privilege of becoming an independent parish but was totally razed in the events of 1936. Today it is no longer a parish church and mass is only said there on Sundays.

Sant Iscle de les Feixes

Sant Iscle de les Feixes

Town: Cerdanyola del vallès
Date: 10th Century
Period: Medieval
Conservation state: Good condition

Location on map

This church was first recorded in documents in 995. It was a parish church from 1082 to the second half of the 19th century. In 1868, it was attached to the Parish Church of Sant Martí de Cerdanyola, and in 1881 the See of Barcelona sold properties belonging to the church to Maria del Carme Llopart i Xiqués, the wife of Leopold Gil, though the sale only included the land and the rectory. The church was remodelled in 1905: the cemetery was removed and the bell tower was built. It was set ablaze during the Spanish Civil War and the high altar dating from the 17th century was destroyed.

Map